[ RadSafe ] Re: Fw: Someone just responded to your comment

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 12:08:38 CDT 2005

Don,
I do not base my judgement on the LNT or what I think
about it.  I consider what is actions are need to get
the work done and keep down radiation exposures.  I
thought that is what ALARA is all about.

If spending $100 for shielding, that is a good
investment as the material could be used again.  If
having a worker receive some radiation exposure in
completing a job, that is what their job is.  The
issue I think is whether or not anything can be done
to reduce exposure.

By the way, on the first nuclear powered submarines,
e.g, USS Nautilus SSN–571, etc., there was a 20 second
stay-time for crew members as they went aft over the
reactor. There was no shielded tunnel over the reactor
compartment.

To tell you the truth, the only time I think about the
LNT is when I get messages from this list server.  Do
you think about the LNT a lot?

--- "Mercado, Don" <don.mercado at lmco.com> wrote:

> As part of our jobs as radiation professionals, we
> have to enforce the
> ALARA principle. What you believe about LNT will
> drive your judgment and
> actions on what you think is "reasonable". Someone
> who thinks that LNT
> is real might spend $100 to reduce exposure by 100
> mrem per annum per
> person. Someone who thinks LNT is a crock might not.
> Is it ok to walk
> through a 500 mR/hr field for 20 seconds without
> turning off the x-ray
> machine, remembering that it takes a half hour to
> restabilize the
> machine after its been turned off and restarted? So
> LNT beliefs can
> translate into real actions, real expenditures or
> savings, and real
> exposures for every HP professional.

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com