[ RadSafe ] Re: Fw: Someone just responded to your comment

Sandy Perle sandyfl at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 7 12:45:45 CDT 2005

On 7 Sep 2005 at 10:08, John Jacobus wrote:

> If spending $100 for shielding, that is a good
> investment as the material could be used again.  If
> having a worker receive some radiation exposure in
> completing a job, that is what their job is.  The
> issue I think is whether or not anything can be done
> to reduce exposure.

I agree. In the utility we used $10K per manrem saved. Pretty high,
but that seemed to be the norm considered acceptable to reduce dose.
If there was a real risk, then the $$ were warranted. If not, then we
spent a lot of money to reduce dose where there was no added benefit.
Time "may" tell! The key to remember is the term "reasonable" in
ALARA. What is reasonable to one may be unreasonable to another. That
is where the regulators come in, and in the case of NPP, INPO makes
that subjective assessment!

-------------------------------------
Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714  Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

E-Mail: sperle at dosimetry.com
E-Mail: sandyfl at earthlink.net

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/