[ RadSafe ] Re: Fw: Someone just responded to your comment

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 15:56:43 CDT 2005

Sandy,
Two thoughts:

It is reasonable to get your car repaired according to
the owner's manual, or should you wait another 1000
miles?  This is a value judgement.

The nuclear power plants are rich.  They can afford to
spend the money on projects that save man-sieverts.
It is a value judgement.  I have yet to hear that work
is not being done because of funds.  Have you?

--- Sandy Perle <sandyfl at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 7 Sep 2005 at 10:08, John Jacobus wrote:
>
> > If spending $100 for shielding, that is a good
> > investment as the material could be used again.
> If
> > having a worker receive some radiation exposure in
> > completing a job, that is what their job is.  The
> > issue I think is whether or not anything can be
> done
> > to reduce exposure.
>
> I agree. In the utility we used $10K per manrem
> saved. Pretty high,
> but that seemed to be the norm considered acceptable
> to reduce dose.
> If there was a real risk, then the $$ were
> warranted. If not, then we
> spent a lot of money to reduce dose where there was
> no added benefit.
> Time "may" tell! The key to remember is the term
> "reasonable" in
> ALARA. What is reasonable to one may be unreasonable
> to another. That
> is where the regulators come in, and in the case of
> NPP, INPO makes
> that subjective assessment!

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com