[ RadSafe ] Pu-239 famous chemical toxitity or visiting Singapore. Re: Radiation-induced chromosomal aberrations long-lived (Pu study)

Emil kerrembaev at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 19:09:56 CDT 2005

John,

Same as you, I could not see much new in the article.
But may be it is just you and me, me who was just sucking up the PAPR
rubber for the last three years, trying to keep thousands of DAC's of
Pu-239 out of workers lungs and get aggravated by being too strict.

I looked up in Radsafe archive, could not find much about mechanism
of Pu chemical toxicity.
I am NOT a toxicologist so my question is: what is the mechanism of
such famous Pu chemical toxicity? It replaces some good metals like
Ca, Cu, Fe.. in the bones, creates toxin compound which causes
structural deformations. So the other heavy metals like Thorium,
Lead..do similar damage, right? Or they do not stuck in the bone's
surface?

Pu chemical toxin would not cause aberrations in chromosomes as a
result of changing the bone marrow structure and then alter
chromosomes?
Or may be it could?
If it could not why is the chemical toxitity limit is lower?

I am wondering about the article's wording:

"Chromosomal aberrations persist for years after occupational
exposure to ionizing radiation, according to a report
in the September issue of Genes,..."

We all knew back in school about the ionized radiation induced
aberrations, but then we..... forgot???

So they left Singapore, went into Russia to re-discover that ionized
radiation is still capable causing biological damage and that Pu-239
is still has a very long physical and biological half lives...Okay.
Aberrations are very similar to the tumor tissue so what?
May be because of that similarity, then Pu-239 cause cancer.
Wouldn't it be more unusual if they did not find similarity in
aberrations?

The wording:"... years after occupational exposure.." is misleading.
More proper wording would be:.. years after UPTAKE or INTAKE or even
exposure to Plutonium but with out words about exposure to ionized
radiation....
Exposure to the ionized radiation on the other hand obviously is
still happening as we speak because Pu-239 is still in the body and
of course bone tissue is exposed to Radiation from Pu-239, and it is
causing those aberrations.

It looks that in the midst of being busy with assigning ALL internal
dose in the year when occupational exposure/INTAKE/UPTAKE occurred,
we assigned and forgot and then we say: "Look even the guy is not
working with Pu-239 now, but we still see those abnormalities in
chromosomes..then yes, these Pu is bad...

Couldn't they just find something more interesting to do in Russia?
Like, go and see Bolshoi Theater.. or just give that research grant
money to former Mayaks workers so that they could go and see how nice
and beautiful Singapore is ?

Have a wonderful evening, everyone.

Emil.