[ RadSafe ] Plutonium with High Concentrations Hazards Summary (Draft Number One).

Emil kerrembaev at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 11:53:54 CDT 2005

Joel, James, Otto and Jerry and others if I forgot to mention
someone.

Thank you very much, for clearing my confusion/question, living
learning :-)

I am trying to get summary:

Plutonium.

1. Acute effects based on Chemical Properties of Plutonium occur in
Kidney and Liver can be fast and lethal, when Pu intake/uptake is
"substantial". Radiation damage can be faster and lethal if a higher
amount of Intake/Uptake occur even before the Chemical acute effects
take place due to the high alpha decay radiation energy deposition
and High Linear Energy Transfer (LET) into the cell and increase of
cells temperature.

2. Long term effects based on Chemical Properties of Plutonium and
its compounds.
".. chemical generation of hydroxyl radicals
 was expected to exceed the radiolytic generation by one hundred
 thousand-fold."**

Which can be interpreted as indirect chemical damage via
creation of hydroxyl radicals which would exceed radiation indirect
damage by one hundred thousand-fold.

(This one explains why Chemical Limit is lower than the
Radiological.)

** H.G. Clayclamp and D. Luo, "Plutonium-catalyzed oxidative DNA
damage in the absence of significant alpha-particle decay,"
Radiation Research, vol. 137 (1994), pp. 114-117,

3. New concept "Imaginary Toxicity" (IT)  should be considerate.
Normally, such measures as LD-50's, TLV',s, and ALI,s of Plutonium
TOXICANT and must not be mistaken with the biological toxins.

4. From me, I would add, if I can:
We, Radiological Field Professionals are measuring Plutonium because
it is an alpha emitter and we can measure Plutonium concentration
faster and with the lower cost than radiochemical analysis.

5. We are in the Radiological field will be continue as we done it
ALWAYS to monitor for the plutonium contamination because of its
extreme radiological, chemical acute and possible long term effects
with high concentrations in the human body, to protect our workers
health (period)

Am I missing something, here?

Additional, responses and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day and a wonderful weekend everyone.

Emil.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=8265780

------------------------------------------->

<7DB6DF83D2CD9140ADA0622B1A05BF2F142675 at nawespscez02.nadsuswe.nads.navy.mil>

> Or this site (on line):

http://chem.sis.nlm.nih.gov/chemidplus/ProxyServlet?objectHandle=DBMaint

&actionHandle=default&nextPage=jsp/chemidlite/ResultScreen.jsp&TXTSUPERL
> ISTID=007440075
>

> Joel Baumbaugh again....

jjcohen at prodigy.net>
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Re: Imaginary Toxicity

    Otto has suggested a concept that could be of great value in
dealing
with hazardous materials;
namely, that of "Imaginary Toxicity" (IT). Normally, such measures as
LD-50's, TLV',s, and ALI,s  are used to evaluate the degree of hazard
associated with a hazardous substance