AW: AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Chernobyl's Reduced Impact

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Wed Sep 14 20:43:22 CDT 2005

In a message dated 9/14/2005 7:45:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Rainer.Facius at dlr.de writes:

Maybe  the American media and the public in your personal perception retain a
more  rational stance regarding chronic low level ionizing radiation.

Sadly, no, I do not believe this is true.  Radiophobia is thriving  here in
the U.S., where we spend billions of dollars to clean up contaminants  that
under the worst case scenarios would pose theoretical increased risks  of 1E-4 -
essentially immeasurable by all epidemiological methods, given the  very high
probability of cancer overall.

The media is generally alarmist in its reporting on the subject, and the
public agencies refuse to counter the nonsense that is often found in print and
on the airwaves.  Because of this, the public does not know where to get
reliable information, and assumes that the media must be reporting the  truth.

The ignorance and fear that prevails is literally draining our resources
daily.  We can't get drinking water in the first 72 hours to victims of a  very
real catastrophic hurricane, but we can diddle away billions arguing about  5
millirem per year vs. 25 millirem per year at a decommissioning site.   The
nonsense that abounds is astounding.

Barbara L. Hamrick