AW: AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Chernobyl's Reduced Impact

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 17 21:13:56 CDT 2005

Barbara,
I do not think it is thriving in the U.S.  I think it
is about the same at it always has been.  How do you
explain the fact that many polls that claim the public
believes nuclear power is important for energy
independance and a cleaner environment.

Of course, California is not like the rest of the
nation.

--- BLHamrick at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/14/2005 7:45:56 A.M. Pacific
> Standard Time,
> Rainer.Facius at dlr.de writes:
>
> Maybe  the American media and the public in your
> personal perception retain a
> more  rational stance regarding chronic low level
> ionizing radiation.
>

> Sadly, no, I do not believe this is true.
> Radiophobia is thriving  here in
> the U.S., where we spend billions of dollars to
> clean up contaminants  that
> under the worst case scenarios would pose
> theoretical increased risks  of 1E-4 -
> essentially immeasurable by all epidemiological
> methods, given the  very high
> probability of cancer overall.
>
> The media is generally alarmist in its reporting on
> the subject, and the
> public agencies refuse to counter the nonsense that
> is often found in print and
> on the airwaves.  Because of this, the public does
> not know where to get
> reliable information, and assumes that the media
> must be reporting the  truth.
>
> The ignorance and fear that prevails is literally
> draining our resources
> daily.  We can't get drinking water in the first 72
> hours to victims of a  very
> real catastrophic hurricane, but we can diddle away
> billions arguing about  5
> millirem per year vs. 25 millirem per year at a
> decommissioning site.   The
> nonsense that abounds is astounding.
>
> Barbara L. Hamrick

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com