AW: AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Chernobyl's Reduced Impact

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Thu Sep 15 04:41:17 CDT 2005

I agree with Barbara Hamrick's complaint about this:

> Radiophobia is thriving here in the U.S., where we
> spend billions of dollars to clean up contaminants that
> under the worst case scenarios would pose theoretical
> increased risks  of 1E-4 - essentially immeasurable by
> all epidemiological methods....

It would be nice to have a list of each clean-up effort's
money-to-lifetime saved actuarial "cost of life" ratios, sorted.

I hope that when that ratio exceeds a standard deviation
or two above the mean, that responsible government officals
would make use of the Waste, Fraud, and Abuse Reporting
Hotline to file an anonymous complaint.  And/or the Inspector
General and/or the Dissent Channel and/or competing
researchers with the lowest $/lifetime saved.  And/or the
Whistleblower office or the pertinent licencing board(s),
and/or the Little-Hoover Commission or its equivalent.
Preferably and.

I think it would be great to compare dollars per hour of
life saved in terms of radiological versus nonradiological
risks of uranium.  Do you think people spend more or less
than 100 times as much money fighting uranium's
radioactivity than its chemical toxicity, on a per-hour-of
-life-saved basis?

Sincerely,
James Salsman