[ RadSafe ] A real public radiation damage event

Muckerheide, James jimm at WPI.EDU
Thu Sep 15 10:54:56 CDT 2005

Friends,

This reports a real public exposure causing actual radiation damage!

This could be another radiation protection development opportunity!  At least
to require rad monitors in all locations where halide bulbs are used!? :-)

Regards, Jim Muckerheide

======================

Sept. 14, 2005, Houston TX CHRONICLE

Light bulb malfunction at school sends 18 to hospital with radiation burns

COLUMBIA, Tenn. -- A malfunctioning light bulb in a school gym exposed more
than 100 people to short-wave radiation for an hour, sending 18 to the
hospital with severe sunburns and swollen eyes.

The incident occurred during a Sept. 11 memorial event held Friday at the
Baker Elementary School in Columbia. Attendees, many of whom were military
veterans, said they started to feel symptoms soon after the event began.

"While I was sitting in the auditorium, my forehead started itching real
bad," said Fred Young, 73. "When I got home I looked into the mirror and my
face looked real red."

Most victims were older adults who were sitting together under the broken
lamp. No children were admitted to Maury Regional Hospital, according to Dr.
David Turner.

Dr. Michael Richardson, another emergency room doctor, said the symptoms,
similar to overexposure from a tanning bed, were produced by a radiation leak
from a halide bulb. The bulbs, commonly used in gyms, are designed with a
special membrane that blocks the UV rays, but occasionally the membranes
break.

The gym was closed during the weekend and by Monday morning the bulb was
removed, according to Director of Schools Eddie Hickman.