[ RadSafe ] Nasal Swabs?

Glenn R. Marshall GRMarshall at philotechnics.com
Fri Sep 16 09:52:59 CDT 2005

While nasal swabs are frequently done, I often question their
usefulness.  If I think an individual may have had an intake, I'm going
to ask for a bioassay regardless of whether or not a nasal swab detected
anything.  And I've never seen anyone do nasal swabs unless they think
there may have been an intake in the first place.  "Weekly radworker
nasal swabs" just never shows up on the routine survey schedule.

To answer your question: no, it's not considered a medical procedure
that only a medical professional can perform.  But I've always seen the
individual employee do it himself because only he knows how far up his
nose he can cram a Qtip before it starts to hurt.  Better practice is to
have the worker blow his nose - you'll typically remove alot more
contamination that way, although counting a Kleenex in a Tennelec could
get a little messy......

Glenn Marshall, CHP