[ RadSafe ] Jay M. Gould

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 23:58:50 CDT 2005

I remembered Dr Alice Stewart when I read the news about Dr Gould. She was the heroine of the anti nuclear lobby. But she was an outstanding epidemiologist who did some good work. Yes some of her work was controversial.

"Activists" also have a role to apply . It may be irritating to the main stream scientists. I do not know whether Dr Gould contributed  in any area other than being an activist.

In a free and frank interview, Mr Yuri Vishnevskiy the then chairman of the Russian Nuclear and Radiation Safety Authority, told me that he used to gain immensely from anti nuke organisations and their slogans.

NYT news story on Dr Gould  was very detailed. His being graduate of economics but a strong activist against nuclear technology did not surprise me. Many physicists to begin with became good radiobiologists and geneticists later

K.S.Parthasatahy

"Dukelow, James S Jr" <jim.dukelow at pnl.gov> wrote:

Yesterday's (19 Sept 2005) NY Times announced the death of Jay M. Gould
at 90 years of age.

The obituary included a reasonably detailed description of Gould's
anti-nuclear activism and criticism of his analyses and arguments by the
nuclear industry and "much of the scientific community as alarmist".

Gould earned his Bachelor's degree from Brooklyn College and a doctorate
from Columbia University (apparently in Economics). The Times obituary
described him as a statistician and epidemiologist. In 1970 he founded
a company providing economic forecasting. He sold the (successful)
company in 1980 and following a appointment by Jimmy Carter to the EPA
advisory board turned more and more to anti-nuclear activism, founding
the Radiation and Public Health Project in 1985. He is survived by his
wife, four children, and two grandchildren.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
jim.dukelow at pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my
management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.