[ RadSafe ] Jay M. Gould

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 21 11:00:26 CDT 2005

At 04:44 PM 9/20/2005, Dukelow, James S Jr wrote:
>Yesterday's (19 Sept 2005) NY Times announced the death of Jay M. Gould
>at 90 years of age.
September 21, 2005

I have used Gould's book "Deadly Deceit" (Jay M. Gould and Benjamin A
Goldman, Four Walls Eight Windows, New York, 1990) to teach my students how
to understand the logical flaws in the anti-nuclear activists clever but
bogus view of radiation effects. It is a classic in its use of selective
tunnel vision and the logical error called "affirming the consequent".
[check http:\www.google.com if you want more information on the "affirming
the consequent" error.]

I believe that the more we understand the twisted logic used by people like
Gould, the better we can present accurate views.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)
University of California, Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140