[ RadSafe ] attacks and immediate actions

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Wed Sep 21 06:19:34 CDT 2005

Mauro Campoleoni wrote:

> I'll probably be involved in writing intervention guidelines for
> immediate actions in case of major contaminations, like dirty bombs
> or similar scenarios.
>
> Is there anybody who can suggest me similar documents, or is willing
> to share with me some info?

Should you plan to respond to a uranium fire, please have a look
at these chelation/sequestration therapies:

http://www.bovik.org/du/sequestering.pdf
http://www.bovik.org/du/synth-adu.pdf
http://www.bovik.org/du/343lihopo.pdf
http://www.bovik.org/du/chelators.pdf

If such exotic therapies are impractical, and there is a means
to deal with alkalosis, then ordinary sodium bicarbonate will
decorporate uranyl contamination.

Those therapies should ideally be started no later than 24 hours
after exposure.  After three weeks time, most of the uranium is
out of the bloodstream.

If, on the other hand, your dirty bomber decides to use
diagnostic radionuclides, that is a whole lot easier to treat.
What a field day for radiologists that would be, except for
the mass panic part.

Good luck.

Sincerely,
James Salsman