[ RadSafe ] AW: How much of RSH still exists?

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Sat Sep 24 14:15:06 CDT 2005

John:

Actually I did not critique the Cardis et al. BMJ 2005 paper as it stands simply because it does not offer sufficient primary data to do so. Furthermore, BMJ is not the proper journal for a full report on an epidemiologic study of such proportions.

Basically, the proper procedure would have been to first present the full data set in an appropriate journal like Radiation Research or the like and afterwards a summary like that in BMF would have been fine. After BMJ did publish the ‘extended abstract’ prematurely, writing to the editor would not have changed anything. And who am I to interfere with the editorial policy of that journal.

Finally, as regards the timing of the BMJ paper, I find it hard to believe in a chance coincidence of that early BMJ publication date with the nearly identical publication date of the BEIR VII-2 report. Now the message of that summary can settle unchallenged for half a year or longer before a substantiated criticism will become possible.

Honi soi qui mal y pense!

Kind regards, Rainer