[ RadSafe ] More "protection"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 08:02:43 CDT 2005

Dr. Parthasarathy,
There have not been any documented hazards to workers
for exposures to the static magnetic and dynamic
electrical and magnetic fields of MRI units.  I
suspect there are concerns regarding high voltage
electricution, suffication due to coolant dumping and
"flying objects."

http://www.simplyphysics.com/flying_objects.html

As shown, tigers can also be a risk.

--- parthasarathy k s <ksparth at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear Dr John Jacobus,
>
> I have read some of your useful notes on radiation
> related topics at the HPS website.
>
> There was an FDA public health notification on MRI
> caused injuries in patients with implanted
> neurological stimulators.  It appears that there are
> no guidelines on worker safety against the possible
> impact of magnetic and electric fields from MRI.
>
> The FDA notification inspired me to write an article
> on hazards from MRI scanners in a leading newspaper.
> You can read it if you so desire  using the
> following URL
>
> www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050916/science.htm
>

> Regards
>

> K.S.Parthasarathy
>
> Raja Ramanna Fellow
>
> Department of Atomic Energy
>
> Room No 18
>
> Ground Floor, North Wing
>
> Vikram Sarabhai Bhavan
>
> Mumbai 400094
>
> E-mail ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
>
> 91+22 25555327
>
> 91+22 25486081
>
> 9869016206 (mobile)
>

> John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jim,
> I am not familiar with any rules governing MRI
> physicians or workers in the US. What is the source
> of the article?
>
> A couple of MRI safety site mention metal clips
> http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/safety/mrisafety.html
> and http://www.radiographicceu.com/article12.html
>
> The OSHA Web site does not have much on MRI

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/radiofrequencyradiation/healtheffects.html

. . .

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com