[ RadSafe ] Engineering & science reduced sadly to political abortions.

Maury Siskel maurysis at ev1.net
Wed Sep 21 12:17:25 CDT 2005

The US over the years has contributed great achievements to the rest of
the world as well as for ourselves. On the other hand, the poor quality
of leadership in the US often is impressive. The nation complained
bitterly about fuel prices even as one of our former leaders selected
the largest deposits of the cleanest, highest quality coal to declare
its deposits a wilderness area and thus inaccessible for mining without
an act of Congress. And our selected leaders outlaw drilling off the
east coast of Florida, off the west coast of Florida, off the entire
Atlantic coast, and off of the entire Pacific coast.

A national "executive" agency sets pollution standards for refineries
making economic jokes of the construction of such facilities. And as the
nation refuses to accept unsightly drilling rigs in coastal waters, it
tries to welcome huge toy windmills in those same areas. And solar
energy panels are pursued in spite of their known inefficiencies and of
the pollution produced by their manufacture.  And we still outlaw the
recovery of oil from an area in Alaska which is less than 1% of the
Wilderness Area containing those oil deposits -- like the coal deposits,
a wilderness no one can even see unless they backpack into it or fly
over it! Are these not impressive achievements? Our leadership
subsidizes the production of grain alcohol for its addition to gasoline
-- even though alcohol reduces the efficacy of the gasoline and
contributes more to air pollution than does the unadulterated gasoline.
Under current conditions, no such production and usage of alcohol would
take place in the absence of the federal tax credits for it.

Holland has successfully recovered a huge productive land area and
protected this below sea level area from  repetitive severe storms from
the sea. But the US has failed to construct even a simple lock or
gateway across a narrow waterway connecting a big lake with the Gulf of
Mexico. Such a gate would prevent a storm surge from overfilling the
lake which overflows to submerge a major city.  Truly remarkable!

Science and engineering are made into a political miscarriage to produce
the US abortion shown below in Table 1. It shows electricity as a
percentage produced by nuclear energy in each country. This is an absurd
reality. It should be noted that:
_________________
"Nuclear power certainly looks good to the rest of the world. France
gets nearly 80% of its energy from nuclear power and has demonstrated
[that] the problem of nuclear waste is political, not technological. At
least it's waste that doesn't get into our lungs on a daily basis."

"Like Britain, Germany, Japan and Belgium,  France reprocesses its spent
nuclear fuel rods, letting the country reduce its volume of nuclear
waste to one-fifth its size while generating even more energy, making
nuclear power a "renewable" resource."
 From Investors Business Daily
____________________
And now for decades, US politicians have argued vehemently over the
suitable hole in a desert mountain to bury our unprocessed spent nuclear
fuel. Is it not amazing? -- perhaps the 9th wonder of the modern world.
It is as though the acceptable US political solution to nuclear
proliferation might be bows and arrows ....

Table 1. NUCLEAR OPTION: Percentage of electricity derived from nuclear
power in 2004. (by IAEA)

Netherlands      3.8
Romania          10.1
UK                  13.4
US                   19.9
Spain               22.9
Finland            26.6
Czech Rep.     31.2
Germany         32.1
Hungary          33.8
Slovenia           38.8
Switzerland     40.0
Bulgaria           41.6
Sweden            51.8
Belgium           55.1
Slovakia           55.2
France              78.1
Lithuania          72.1

Are there any leaders in or outside of the Congress with the ability to
alleviate the problems described above? Are we willing to elect  or
insist upon rational performance by them?
Cheers,
Maury&Dog   maurysis at ev1.net

PS. It must not be overlooked that US voters generally selected (hired,
elected) their leadership.