[ RadSafe ] Kr-85

JGinniver at aol.com JGinniver at aol.com
Fri Sep 23 17:02:49 CDT 2005

In a message dated 23/09/2005 22:45:11 GMT Standard Time, rah at america.net
writes:

The  charcoal bed trains were commonly installed on the ehxaust from the
steam  jet air ejectors of GE BWR's, the exhaust bieng mixed with other  more
dilute air streams prior to release.

Thanks for the information.  Unfortunately I don't have any experience  of
BWR plants so I find this information quite useful.  I was basing my 90  days of
delay and decay on a late model SNUPPS PWR.  A low flowrate of  gas
(including radioactive noble gases) is constantly drawn from the reactor  coolant and
is passed through a number of large charcoal beds before  discharge through a
stack.  On this plant the gas wasn't diluted with any  other ventilation before
discharge, and (again if I recall correctly) the flow  rate was between 1 and
2 m3 per hour.

Am I correct in thinking that the steam jet air ejectors are what I might
call Condensate Air Extraction Pumps on the Turbine Condenser and are  used to
maintain a vacuum on the condenser to assist the overall steam cycle
efficiency?

Regards,
Julian