[ RadSafe ] Errors expose patients to radiation

ROY HERREN royherren2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 13:38:02 CDT 2005

The usual prescribed dose for I-125 mono-therapy, Low Dose Rate (LDR) Prostate Cancer Brachytherapy is 145 Gray, which is equal to 14,500 Rad.  In this type of therapy the iodine is contained inside of titanium seeds that are laser welder shut and are permanently implanted in the patient's prostate.  The mCi per seed and the total number of seeds is dependent on the "plan" which is based on the prostate volume.

Roy Herren

Dale Boyce <daleboyce at charter.net> wrote:
Howard,

I think you have a typo. 75 x 2 x 6 is 900. Some therapy courses are 200
rad to the tumor 5 times a week for 6 weeks.

Dale