AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] National Geographic - Chernobyl

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu Apr 13 17:07:06 CDT 2006

Thank you, Don, for providing the the internet links! I belong to an older
generation and I sometimes forget, that a reference has to be accompanied
nowadays by the respective links......

Regarding Rainers question about the "one serious error": On p 47 of the
print edition, "At a gate ....." third paragraph, "an unearthly radioactive
"lava" - fuel rods, concret and metal ...." is mentioned, then it reads
"There's enough enriched uranium and plutonium in the hulk for dozens of
atomic bombs." I cannot share this opinion, because the uranium is only
slightly enriched (I do not know the exact number) and the plutonium is
without doubt not weapons grade, not to talk about how to retrieve this lava
and how to extract the non weapons-grade material. It is known, that this
type of reactor was originally designed to be able to change the fuel
elements after a short irradiation time without stopping electricity
production ("dual purpose"!) and extract plutonium suitable for nuclear
bombs. (There were also other, technical reasons.) This practice seems not
to have been used since long in the former Sovjetunion and the Chernobyl
reactor was never used for this purpose.

I wonder whether fellow RADSAFErs are aware of the fact, that there exists a
film made by BBC (?) many years ago, which shows the interior of the reactor
and even the "lava" stream, which has solidified into what is called
"elephant foot" in the cellars.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer