[ RadSafe ] Dirty Bomb Material Crosses Border

Flood, John FloodJR at nv.doe.gov
Sat Apr 1 12:59:38 CST 2006

I don't really want to get a debate under way on this as it's rather off
topic for Radsafe, but I'll make one response.  It's true that the
subway and resort targets were economic in nature.  The intended
aftermath of such an attack is a significant (huge, total) decrease in
the usefulness of the economic resource.  But if the goal is just
economic disruption, the terrorists can plant a bomb, call in a warning
so there's just enough time to evacuate, and then detonate the bomb,
harming no one.  I know of no example of such tactics by AQ or any other
active terrorist organization. The body count that comes from the
surprise attack on an occupied facility is a fundamental part of the
action and has been all of my life.  To shift to a practice that allows
those in harm's way to escape first would be an enormous change of
personality and totally contrary to the nature of those who blow things
up to impose their cause on others.

Bob Flood