AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: depleted uranium cherry & battle

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Mon Apr 3 17:16:49 CDT 2006

John,

This is a good question. Who used DU first? Who used it first in combat?

I spent in summer 1977 two months at the Austrian Military as a volunteer,
being an Assistant Professor at the Technical University of Vienna.

I remember more than well, that in 1977 we were instructed (I served at a
unity of tanks), that there existed munitions containing uranium (there was
no questions then about depleted or natural uranium), which would penetrate
all kind of armor. Also tungsten was mentioned.

Now I would like to receive information from you, when the DU was actually
first tested and used.

If in 1977 at our Austrian army it's use was known, then it should have been
known at least 50 years before internationally (I am exaggerating.....).

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna