[ RadSafe ] Pipe coating using Cs-137

Robert D Gallagher rdgallagher at nssihouston.com
Tue Apr 4 11:41:15 CDT 2006

There are many pipe inspection  companies that utulize radioactive sources
in their operations. Some use radiation sources for measuring pipe wall
thickness as the device is pushed through the line by the moving fluids.
Other companies utilize external sources positioned in different sequences
to trigger control relays of a device within the pipe to make it stop or
take samples. A third application as mentioned by Franz uses millicurie to
multicurie cobalt sources to find stuck pipeline scraper pigs in a pipeline
or to at least follow the progress of the scraper pig.

I have worked with all of these devices and we never considered the
personnel operating them to be industrial radiographers. The sources used in
the above applications are usually millicurie to a few Curie sources.
Radiographers commonly uses 25-200 Curies.   Also with radiographers, the
source is exposed for extended periods of time in air where the pipeline
sources are usually several feet below ground and are constanly moving so
the potential for personnel exposure is minimal.

For the external pipe control sources that I have seen, the sources were
only a few millicuries and were well shielded and  collimated. Unless
someone turned it upside down and sat on it, minimal exposure is likely.

Bob Gallagher
NSSI   Houston