[ RadSafe ] Calculated Health Impacts of Reducing NaturalBackground Ionizing Radiation

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 9 10:33:53 CDT 2006

Jim,
Is there any evidence of a health worker effect in
other industries?

If so, then are you then say that the healthy worker
effect is not a valid conclusion to studies of
radiation workers?

--- "Muckerheide, James" <jimm at WPI.EDU> wrote:

> Bobby,
>
> I'd also add that the epi studies of rad workers are
> not really "poorly
> designed" so much as that they simply denying the
> reality of the results.
> The epi's have NO recognition of biology, and they
> are biased by their
> funding sources to believe that any radiation dose
> must be harmful.
>
> The toughest problem was the most definitive nuclear
> shipyard worker study
> designed to have NO healthy worker effect, but they
> have to claim the HWE in
> order to avoid admitting that LDR reduces cancer.
> Since that was such a
> problem, the study was not published so it has never
> been subject to formal
> review, so the HWE claim has not been able to be
> challenged.
>
> Since then, most human studies, especially the
> nuclear worker studies are
> designed to compare workers to the general
> population to be able to claim the
> HWE.  It would, of course be easy to compare power
> plant nuclear workers to
> power company non-nuclear workers.  But... :-)
>
> Note that these same epi experts concluded
> (correctly), in advice to the
> gov't of Canada, in 1988, that cancer can not be
> significantly affected by
> the HWE (caused by the age-dependence of cancer, and
> the latency of cancer).
> Of course, there is an excess of cancer over the
> general population in
> workers that are actually exposed to carcinogenic
> conditions!
>
> Regards, Jim

"We fear things in proportion to our ignorance of them."
Titus Livius
-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist