[ RadSafe ] Revised GAO reports on border smuggling incidents

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Sat Apr 15 19:35:15 CDT 2006

Well, well, well, this is interesting.  I'm glad to see that NIST was  able
to wash their hands of that, but I am very disappointed to find out that  GAO
is conveniently not subject to FOIA:

_http://www.gao.gov/foia.html/appeals.html_
(http://www.gao.gov/foia.html/appeals.html)

And, although they do offer some disclosure, the following information is
exempt from that policy:

"GAO's responsibilities to the Congress precludes the release of records
supporting work performed in response to a congressional request unless
authorization to release is obtained from the congressional requester. See _4 CFR 81.6
 (a)._ (http://www.gao.gov/about/publicrecords/cfrfiles/81_6.txt) "

So, it appears they can rely on whatever "outside expert" they choose,
without having to actually disclose who it is, or what their expert's  credentials
may or may not be.

Anyone up for trying to get Senator Coleman's permission to disclose?

Barbara L. Hamrick

In a message dated 4/10/2006 2:48:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,