[ RadSafe ] In utero dose

Michael Bohan mike.bohan at yale.edu
Tue Apr 18 17:13:00 CDT 2006

Hello Floyd and RadSafer's:

In medicine, the conservative approach (of ALARA for radiation) is
usually NOT advisable.  ALARA is specifically an industrial hygiene
practice that has been bastardized by some to apply to realms it was
never intended for.

If there is a pregnant mother, who's been in a serious car accident,
the risk of having an undiagnosed condition that results in immediate
death to the mother and/or fetus, is real.   The theoretical risk of
even a 10 rad dose to her and the fetus are a very small concern in
comparison.  Even with a dose of 10 rad, the theoretical risk to the
fetus is about 1 in a thousand, and it might only be expressed many
years later.  However, the mortality of mothers and fetuses from
serious car accidents and undiagnosed trauma, is immediate and probably
would lead to 10's if not 100's of deaths/thousand, if modern
diagnostic tests are withheld due to radiophobia.  It should be
remembered that ALARA is meant to keep occupational workers well away
from any risk at all, even theoretical ones.  When reality strikes, we
need to use a different set of standards.

ALARA does have a place in medicine.  Medical Physicists spend a lot of
time and energy making sure that all hospital equipment provides the
best diagnostic information for the smallest necessary dose.   However,
ALARA should never be used to deny a patient a necessary diagnostic
procedure.

Regards,

Mike Bohan, RSO
Yale-New Haven Hospital
Radiological Physics
20 York St. - WWW 204
New Haven, CT 06510
Tele: (203) 688-2950
Fax: (203) 688-8682
Email: mike.bohan at yale.edu

This message originates from Yale New Haven Health System. The
information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential. If you are the intended recipient, you must maintain this
message in a secure and confidential manner. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and destroy
this message. Thank you.