AW: [ RadSafe ] Reporting about Chernobyl

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Thu Apr 20 10:26:57 CDT 2006

Bjorn:

Apparently this 'article' is a particularly repugnant piece of disinformation.

However, also in Germany not only penny press 'sensational newspapers' seize the chance of the 20th Chernobyl anniversary to make some additional dollars with their best (or second best) selling merchandise, Angst. Among the more reputable great German newspapers to my knowledge only the weekly journal Die Zeit tries to balance the standard Greenpeace and other halfwits' rubbish - which of course they too have to spread - with some genuine scientific information such as the Chernobyl Forum findings as an antidote.

Attempting to rectify the disinformation disseminated by most of the other articles these days - as I too often do in writing to the editors of the other newspapers - is bound to remain an exercise in futility until the scientific community unites in declaring the laymen's version of the LNT concept - "any small amount of radiation kills" - what it actually is (and always was):

a convenient tool, indispensable to radiation protection practitioners to formulate and execute radiation protection standards but as a postulate an outdated tool yielding absurd results at variance with much of the radiobiological results of the last two decades if applied to estimate health risks below 100 to 200 mSv acute and perhaps 500 mSv chronic low LET exposure to ionizing radiation.

This is bound to happen - the question only is, when and how much our societies will have to pay for the sequelae arising from this absurdity?

Best regards, Rainer