[ RadSafe ] Reporting about Chernobyl

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 08:07:22 CDT 2006

Victor,
This sense of a conspiracy about the dosimetry results
as you mention in your third paragraph is clearly one
of the factors that makes coming to terms with the
Chernobyl accident a problem.  As long as there is
suspension about facts being hidden and mistrust of
the governments, debates about what the results of the
accident will continue.

Confounding factor like alcohol consumption and poor
health care are other factors that do not appear to be
addressed.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,812216,00.html

> > This is the leading sensational newspaper in
> Sweden.
> >
> > By starting at:
> > http://www.aftonbladet.se/
> > and scrolling down you will find a first picture
> and then a few more.
> > Next headline reads: "Julia 8, shall die from
> cancer".
> >
> > There is so much of bias and strange
> desinformation in this article that
> > it
> > is hard to know where to begin. It says that the
> sperms have become so
> > damaged ("lazy"/slow) - (understatement: because
> of the radiation) - that
> > 1/4 of all men can't produce children.
> > New to me is the "Chernobyl chromosome" which
> according to the article now
> > is an established concept. "The cancer frequency
> is now three times
> > larger..." (very unclear statement with regard to
> time, geography and so
> > on). No doses mentioned...
> >
> > A few Swedish words:
> > barn = child/children
> > människa = person/man
> > människor = persons/people
> > sjukhus = hospital
> >
> > My personal action only,

"A scientist's aim in a discussion with his colleagues is not to persuade, but to clarify."
Leo Szilard
-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist