AW: [ RadSafe ] Reporting about Chernobyl

Bjorn Cedervall bcradsafers at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 21 00:57:14 CDT 2006

>The doses received

There are several dose categories to consider. One is the doses received by
those directly involved in putting out the fire at Chernobyl and other acute
measures. These workers received very high doses with the acute radiation
syndrome (the order of 200 individuals - including 28 direct radiation
induced deaths). Then there is the thyroid doses - most important for those
who were children at the time and lived in the fallout areas. The thyroid
cancers (according to the latest UN bodies) now  amout to almost 5000 extra
cases - at least 15 of these have died from the thyroid cancer. The dose
estimates here are statistically quite uncertain but the cause-effect is
certainly there.

Now over to the article I referred to: This is about a girl who was born 12
years after the accident. Therefore this cannot be an iodine(131)-thyroid
case.

I recently heard a presentation about the doses in fallout areas (Bryansk) -
I can come back to the deposition levels - quite striking were the dose
levels to people living there (based on several different kinds of
measurements/estimates) - on average around 2.5 mSv extra.

In order to statistically detect cancer among humans at a dose level of 1
mSv about one billion exposed individuals are required. Take into account
that this is about children and that there may be indivuals far above an
average of 2-3 mSv I still question the increased cancer risk by a factor of
3 (as the Aftonbladet article stated). Basically much more information is
needed for a relevant perspective and understanding. This was not the
purpose of the article however.

My personal ideas only,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers at hotmail.com