[ RadSafe ] Re:Reasonable risk?

Michael McNaughton mcnaught at lanl.gov
Fri Apr 21 08:58:39 CDT 2006

At 07:55 PM 04/20/2006, you wrote:
>All of these value judgments are synonyms for zero judgment,
>responsibility, and authority.

Would it help if we had an objective way to quantify it? For example, the
use of a money seems to me helpful. Some people quantify ALARA as: $10,000
per rem. I find this helpful when I am told to apply the ALARA principle to
a 3 mrem/year dose to a hypothetical individual at the site boundary. I
say: 3 mrem is equivalent to $30, so let's not talk too long.

mike
Mike McNaughton
Los Alamos National Lab.
email: mcnaught at LANL.gov or mcnaughton at LANL.gov
phone: 505-667-6130; page: 505-664-7733