AW: [ RadSafe ] In utero dose "Alara Does Work" ?!!

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 09:15:38 CDT 2006

Rainer,
I believe that he was asked to review the shipyard
worker study due to his expertise in dosimetry.

I will have to look through my docuements to find
appropriate papers to reference or send.  I will try
and find specific referecnes that cite Dr. Cameron's
conclusions about this study.  Like you and others on
this list, I do cannot spend all my time monitoring
this list and reponding to every message.

Nevertheless, the report itself can be found at
http://cedr.lbl.gov/shipyard.pdf

An abstract of the report was published in Radiaton
Research, 133, 126-127 (1993) or I can send a copy.

A review of the study was published in J Radiol Prot.,
2001 Dec; 21(4):400-3 or I can send a copy.

Unfortunately, I forsee that this will lead to another
long debate on the LNT and hormesis.  Nevertheless, I
will try and restrict my input.  I have a life beyond
this list.

--- Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:

> John:
>
> Please, could you provide some references to
> published work where the debate counter Cameron's
> arguments has been documented.
>
> Also, if I remember correctly, Cameron served on the
> external referee board which closely supervised
> Matanoski's nuclear shipyard study. I find it
> difficult to imagine that he was called without
> quite some professional standing also in
> epidemiology - but of course I may err here.
>
> Kind regards, Rainer

"A scientist's aim in a discussion with his colleagues is not to persuade, but to clarify."
Leo Szilard
-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist