[ RadSafe ] Re:Reasonable risk?

Sandy Perle sandyfl at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 21 12:56:05 CDT 2006

On 21 Apr 2006 at 10:20, John Jacobus wrote:

> How do you determine how better to protect the
> worker.  Do you go with days-lost-on-the-job or mrem?

John,

Interesting question.

For actual worker protection, we looked at lost-time injuries and
duration of lost-time injuries as well as injuries that did not
result in lost-time. From an ALARA standpoint, we looked at
collective manrem by department as well in individual manrem. This
was of course mandated by NRC, INPO and ANI. Just because it was
mandated does not make it a worker protection issue, which in the
end, by reducing manrem that resulted in no apparent observable
improvement to the worker's health, simply means $$ were spent to
reduce dose below a threshold, when in fact, if there were no
reduction, there still would have been no adverse effect on the
worker.

-------------------------------------
Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714  Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

E-Mail: sperle at dosimetry.com
E-Mail: sandyfl at earthlink.net

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/