[ RadSafe ] [Fwd: RE: uranium combustion produces how much UO3(g)?]

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Sat Apr 22 11:25:42 CDT 2006

Bob Wilson wrote:

>... I simply would like to see the exposure to depleted uranium
> treated  like any other medical condition....

Such a situation may never occur as long as DU exposure is
assumed to involve only exposure to mostly insoluble particulate
dusts, and not uranyl oxide gas.  The toxicology and
appropriate treatments are very different between the two.  But
so far, the assumption has been that the risk of DU combustion
products is from the particulate oxides alone, and the gas
products have been completely ignored.

I recently sent the message below to Dr. Carl Alexander, who
has been active in uranium chemistry for more than half a
century, and is a famous scientist in other fields, participating
in the Voyager space probe program and currently working on
missile defense systems.  He published a paper last year on the
vapor pressure of uranium trioxide gas in the Journal of Nuclear
Materials, vol. 346, pp. 312-318:
   http://www.bovik.org/du/Alexander2005.pdf

His reply follows.

Sincerely,