[ RadSafe ] 20 uCi Radium Check Sources

Robert Atkinson robert.atkinson at genetix.com
Fri Aug 18 06:22:59 CDT 2006

Hi,
As Kentucky is an agreement state you need to look at the local
regulations.
It looks like the licence exempt limit for Ra226 is 0.1uCi. As NORM,
Ra226 does not come under the NRC's remit, but this is set to change.
Production of Radon can cause capsule rupture, it depends on the
construction.
Radium is very radio-toxic and due to radon emanation it can cause
widespread contamination. The EPA recently spent several million dollars
"cleaning up" an old aircraft instrument storage facility in LA.
Here in the UK the status of Ra226 luminised items is a little vague and
there appears to be no authorised disposal route for Ra226.

Just my personal view,
Robert.