[ RadSafe ] Re: krypton-85

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 05:55:47 CDT 2006

Activated charcoal (and molecular sieves) has since long been used in the
determination of Kr-85, though in traps cooled by liquid nitrogen. The
charcoal diffusion delay lines are to my knowledge used to delay the
diffusion of I-131 and other shortlived gaseous radionuclides so that they
decay before reaching the open atmosphere. For Kr-85 with its 10 years
halflife this would not work.......

Kr-85 is a "problem" only at reprocessing plants, where it usually is
emitted in high amounts into the air. About 20 years ago at the research
center in Karlsruhe, Germany, several methods had been developed for the
separation of Kr-85 from the offgases, but the reprocessing plant in
Wackersdorf was cancelled and to my knowledge Kr-85 is at existing
reprocessing plants not isolated. Anyway the dose from Kr-85 (beta-emitter,
maximum beta-energy 687 keV) to the population is negligible.

BTW: A search on google for "Kr-85 activated charcoal" yields within
0.09sec 271 entries!