[ RadSafe ] London - Po-210

Jim Hardeman Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Fri Dec 1 18:06:11 CST 2006

Franz --

You are indeed correct about the lack of quantitative data. I spoke with colleagues with CDC here in Atlanta yesterday ... they are in direct contact with their counterparts in the UK, and even they don't have quantitative data.

FYI for all concerned ... the CNN show "Anderson Cooper 360 Degrees" plans to air a story on this Monday 12/4 at 10PM Eastern Time ... interviews w/ CDC folks, and (perhaps) some video from our radiochemical lab on the Georgia Tech campus.

I hope you're wrong that it may take decades to learn the circumstances surrounding this event.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4220 International Parkway, Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675
Fax: (404) 362-2653
E-mail: Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us

>>> Franz Schönhofer <franz.schoenhofer at chello.at> 12/1/2006 18:04 >>>

Dear collegues,

Having returned from London yesterday, having read several of the English
newspapers, especially the ones free of charge in the streets and at the
underground stations I am a little surprised about the reaction to the
Po-210 poisoning. London newspapers give information issued by the
authorities, they do not exaggerate, they even give correct information
about the "hazard" of Po-210, stating that it can only be of concern if
ingested.

Unfortunately - and this is of concern for radiation protection
professionals - neither newspapers nor authorities give any quantitative
information about the contamination found - whether in the body of the dead
spy or at any of those areas including aeroplanes identified of being
contaminated. Links published at RADSAFE do not give any information above
the information given in newspapers.

I think we have to wait for some time to receive information which would
enable dose-estimates. I do not believe that information about the
circumstances of the killing will be available within the next few decades.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR