[ RadSafe ] RE: rad material at your local high school

Keith Welch welch at jlab.org
Tue Dec 12 12:40:18 CST 2006

Friends,

Shouldn't we be outraged at the idea that our tax dollars and sparse
resources are being used to deal with this non-problem?  Ed has it
right.  So do others who have commented at the idiocy of "cleaning up"
this stuff.  It's like the emergency management rep said in the article:
"it's a low hazard, but they want no hazard".  Why is that acceptable to
any of us?

Why are our emergency response organizations devoting part of their
budgets to this?
Why aren't they instead using those same resources to EDUCATE these
educators about the real (almost-zero) risks of working with this
material, and the great benefit it is to the students as a teaching aid
(if used responsibly, by knowledgeable teachers)?
Are they ridding the school chemistry departments of all their chemicals
as well?
Why do WE sit idly by and let this happen?
The king has no clothes.

At least there are a few people here and there swimming upstream against
this flow, but I fear it is not nearly enough.  Thanks to some dedicated
teachers in our state (and others, I trust), and the efforts of local
HPS chapters, there are some school kids getting a little dose of
reality regarding radiation.  This is the whole point of the science
teacher education initiative of the HPS - to communicate radiation
hazard information accurately, in the context of real life, where "no
hazard" is not an acceptable standard unless you're willing to embrace
enormous wastefulness and a non-rational, non-realistic, lopsided risk
paradigm.   We should be vocally resisting (or at least rationally
evaluating) these 'cleanup' initiatives at every opportunity, if we
really believe that the beneficial uses of radiation are worthwhile if
managed properly.  Here is the message the affected teachers and
students are taking home from these government sanctioned, taxpayer
funded efforts -- there is no activity worth even the slightest amount
of radiation exposure.

Instead of teaching our kids to fear radiation shouldn't we be teaching
them the science and application of radiation safety?

Keith Welch
welch at jlab.org

(The above is a highly opinionated rant by the author, is not intended
to offend anyone, and represents only my own feeble thoughts, and not
the feeble thoughts of any employer, past, present or future.)