[ RadSafe ] Lethal Amount of Po-210 - any gamma?

Kai Kaletsch eic at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 12 21:31:29 CST 2006

Thanks Jim!

It turned out to be radioactive material in cargo. I was under the
(apparently mistaken) impression that radioactive material was not supposed
to go on passenger planes. Otherwise, I would have asked the pilot right
away.

I considered a bunch of alternative explanations, but was able to eliminate
most of them: I waited until every one else got off the plane, to make sure
the reading was not originating from one of the passengers. I made sure the
reading returned to normal as soon as I got off the plane to eliminate the
possibility of equipment failure or a temporary increase in cosmic/solar
rays.

BTW, if your GammaWatch gives you strange readings, its a good idea to turn
off the alarm and turn on the audio. You get a beep every time a photon is
detected. That way, you eliminate the possibility of the microprocessor
going screwy without actually receiving any pulses. It also eliminates the
possibility that the microprocessor received hundreds of pulses in a short
time (perhaps due to some interference ...) and that it just takes a long
time for the display to go back to normal. The displayed value responds
quickly to increases in radiation, but takes some time to go low, once the
radiation level is decreased. There is no such delay when you listen to the
frequency of the beeps.

Whenever I observed unexpected higher readings, the reading was usually real
and not due to equipment failure. However, there is always that possibility.

Best Regards,
Kai