[ RadSafe ] Airplanes, cosmic rays, DU, tritium and similar absurdities

Ellars, Charles Charles.Ellars at qsa-global.com
Tue Dec 19 10:54:38 CST 2006

A reprieve!

Thanks Otto.

Cheers,

Charlie

________________________________

From: Otto Raabe [mailto:ograabe at ucdavis.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:50 AM
To: Ellars, Charles; Franz Schönhofer; RADSAFE
Subject: RE: [ RadSafe ] Airplanes, cosmic rays, DU, tritium and similar absurdities

At 06:38 AM 12/19/2006, Ellars, Charles wrote:

I raise my hand as saying the word "ballast" instead of "counterweight" ....

According to my American Heritage Dictionary:

ballast: (n) 1. Any heavy material placed in the hold of a ship or the gondola of a balloon to enhance stability. 2. That which gives stability.

To me, ballast seems to be the correct term if the purpose is stability in an aircraft.

**************************
counterweight (n) 1. A weight used as a counter balance.

To me this is a balance between two forces as over a pulley. It does not seem to exactly apply to ships, balloons, or aircraft.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140

On October 10th 2005, we changed our name to QSA Global Inc.
As QSA Global Inc., we remain committed to providing you with the same level of world class service you have come to expect from AEA Technology QSA, Inc.
This transmission contains information which may be confidential and
which may also be privileged. It is intended for the named addressee
only. Unless you are the named addressee, or authorized to receive it
on behalf of the addressee you may not copy or use it, or disclose it
to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please
contact the sender. Thank you for your cooperation.