[ RadSafe ] Airplanes, cosmic rays, DU, tritium and similar absurdities

Ruth Sponsler jk5554 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 19 14:04:39 CST 2006

I think that the term "counterweight" refers to the
use of DU, lead, or other dense substance to balance
out the mass of the wings, when one is slightly less
heavy than the other owing to factors like
construction, ailerons, etc.

I'm no expert on aircraft or boats, but the port and
starboard sides of the craft need to be precisely
balanced.

I've actually ridden on a friends' pleasure boat,
where port and starboard *weren't* matched well
because the trim tabs needed a good adjustment.  When
we went over a wave, it was a wild ride!

~Ruth