[ RadSafe ] baby in x-ray scanner

Sandy Perle sandyfl at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 23 12:27:16 CST 2006

On 23 Dec 2006 at 12:55, Cindy Bloom wrote:

> However,
> it might be prudent to determine exactly what the exposure might have been
> with measurements from that particular x-ray unit (if not already
> done).

Cindy, I do understand that you think this was mostly over-reaction,
so, I am not implying that you agree that a medical exam was in
order. Your point about knowing the exposure from the unit is well-
take. I expect that these units are tested on a periodic basis. I
would also expect that if the exposure either increased or decreased,
that there would be a adverse effect noted in the image quality.
Therefore, in my opinion, there are indications of a systematic
change. In the end, the possibility of any exposure that would have
required a medical exam of the baby is 100% improbable. There isn't
any chance that there was harm to this baby, and the taking of the
baby to a medical facility was simply a over-reaction, and nothing
more. The only harm from this incident is the honkering down of
public opinion that radiation is bad, that X-ray units put out
dangerous levels of radiation, and that is the most unfortunate
aspect of this incident.

Season's Greetings to all!

Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/
Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/