[ RadSafe ] References needed: Radiation safety vs General Safety

Jean-Francois, Stephane stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com
Wed Feb 1 16:05:57 CST 2006

I am trying to refresh my "training bank" and I kindly request your help in
finding any papers or books (if any) highlighting differences in regulatory
application in ionizing radiation safety vs chemical safety for example or
biological safety etc. I don't want to start another discussion on ALARA or
even LNT, but I would be interested in seeing how much we are doing in
Health Phsycis vs how little we do in other safety fields (not assuming that
we are the only one working in safety !!!)

Some paper that would, for example, compare different regulations for the
same relative risk.  I am always amazed to see that we can't export easily a
couple of micro-curies of H-3 but we can send a nasty toxin without too much
problem. Or that we have to lock some P-32 but not any toxic chemicals or
strong reactives...

Thanks in advance.

Stéphane Jean-François, Eng., CHP
Manager, Environmental and Health Physics services
Merck Frosst Canada
514-428-8695
514-428-8670
stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com