[ RadSafe ] References needed: Radiation safety vs General Safety

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 08:26:16 CST 2006

Stephane,

This may be helpful:

NCRP Report No. 96, "Comparative Carcinogenicity of
Ionizing Radiation and Chemicals" Cost $40 US.

NCRP Report No. 96 was prepared to evaluate the extent
to which the principles and methods that have been
developed for use in assessing the carcinogenic risks
of ionizing radiation are applicable in assessing the
carcinogenic risks of chemicals. In addressing this
question, the Report reviews the status of knowledge
concerning the carcinogenic effects of radiation and
chemicals, with particular reference to their
comparative mechanisms of actions and the dose effect
relationships involved. Mathematical models for
predicting carcinogenic risks from radiation and
chemicals are reviewed for those exposure conditions
where human data are fragmentary or lacking. Major
sections of the Report treat the nature and mechanisms
of carcinogenic effects, nature, distribution and
sources of ionizing radiation in the environment;
nature, distribution and sources of carcinogenic
chemicals in the environment; carcinogenic effects of
radiation and chemicals in humans; extrapolation from
laboratory models to the human; and risk assessment.

http://www.ncrponline.org/pubs.html

--- "Jean-Francois, Stephane"
<stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com> wrote:

> I am trying to refresh my "training bank" and I
> kindly request your help in
> finding any papers or books (if any) highlighting
> differences in regulatory
> application in ionizing radiation safety vs chemical
> safety for example or
> biological safety etc. I don't want to start another
> discussion on ALARA or
> even LNT, but I would be interested in seeing how
> much we are doing in
> Health Phsycis vs how little we do in other safety
> fields (not assuming that
> we are the only one working in safety !!!)
>
> Some paper that would, for example, compare
> different regulations for the
> same relative risk.  I am always amazed to see that
> we can't export easily a
> couple of micro-curies of H-3 but we can send a
> nasty toxin without too much
> problem. Or that we have to lock some P-32 but not
> any toxic chemicals or
> strong reactives...
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Stéphane Jean-François, Eng., CHP
> Manager, Environmental and Health Physics services
> Merck Frosst Canada
> 514-428-8695
> 514-428-8670
> stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com
> www.merckfrosst.com

=== message truncated ===

"Never write when you can talk. Never talk when you can nod. And never put anything in an email."  - Eliot Spitzer, New York state attorney general

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com