[ RadSafe ] Florida Explosion involving Kr-85: HPs to the rescue

Walter Cofer radcontrol at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 2 23:17:50 CST 2006

Bob -

I have no problem with that assessment, but I don't believe my comments
discounted anyone other than the media, which has a poor track record on
providing scientifically grounded information when it comes to radiation.  I
have no doubt that there were people there who had some radiation-induced
anxiety as a result of the accident.  Fear of the unknown is a natural
response.  The employer and the public heath officials share in the
responsibility to educate them, their families and the public about the
health hazard.  Unfortunately, the media often fans the flames of fear, and
makes matters worse.

During my years with the Bureau, I was a strong advocate for increasing the
agency's role in providing accurate information about radiation science,
radiation safety and the role of ionizing radiation in our society.  I have
also dedicated many volunteer hours to developing and conducting science
teacher workshops in association with the Fla. Chapter of the Health Physics
Society, and will continue to do so, even if it may be a losing battle.

- Walt Cofer