[ RadSafe ] Proposed Ohio HLRW Legislation

Peg and Al Rosenfield alanpeg at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 4 14:37:09 CST 2006

A current issue before Ohio legislature is an attempt to impede transport of
high-level radioactive waste (HLRW) through the state. A proposed state
study of this issue is dead, but the sponsor has e-mailed me that he will
introduce alternative legislation on fees and safety issues.

I am willing to testify before the legislative committee, but I need
ammunition. While the study group legislation was alive, two environmental
groups testified that Ohio is behind in handling HLRW. Is this true? Is
there any data on how well various states handle high-level waste? They also
testified that other states are collecting fees to defray costs associated
with HLRW shipment. I thought that such fees were not being collected. The
sponsor also has invited representatives from Illinois and Iowa to testify.
Are either of these states doing anything that Ohio isn't? He is also
bringing in Robert Halsted, consultant to Nevada. What would Halsted be
expected to say? Are there any data to refute his claims? Finally, will all
existing high-level waste go to the proposed Goshute site?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Al Rosenfield
Columbus Ohio