[ RadSafe ] Franz and neutrinos

Arland Carsten carsten at bnl.gov
Fri Feb 3 14:14:56 CST 2006

Hi to all,

I was interested in your comments about neutrino research, particularly that done at Brookhaven, since I started as a Radiological Physics Fellow at BNL in
1954, and joined the Health Physics Division in 1957.  Although not a physicist I  was interested in the neutrino work.  This was partly due to the fact that I
knew Lederman and Schwartz quite well from playing many hours of poker with them.  (This was before poker became a national past-time.)

The other part of the BNL neutrino story (solar neutrinos) involved Ray Davis Jr. who also got the Nobel Prize for work which was equalty, or more, interesting
than the work at the AGS.  Ray (who I also knew well) was the first one to detect solar neutrinos.  He is quoted as saying, "Neutrinos are intersting particles,
so tiny that they can pass straight through everything , even the earth itself without slowing down."

He devised a method based on the theory that the neutrinos produce radioactive argon when they interact with a cholorine nucleus, His first detctor was in an
Ohio limestone mine 2,300 feet below ground. His large experiment was 4,800 feet below ground in a 100,000 gallon tank of (I believe a perchloro compound) at
the Homestake Gold Mine in South Dakota.  He found that there were only 1/3 the neutrinos that standard theories would predict.

In the 1990s, the so called "solar neutrimo puzzle" was confirmed in a number of different studies.  It is now quite well accepted as evidence that the three
known types of neutrinos could change into another type known, by "neutrino oscillation"  This implies that neutrinos have mass, which is not included in the
current standard model of elementary particles.  Davis's detector was sensitive to only one form of neutrino, so he observed less than the expected number.

Most of the above information is about two years old, which means that neutrino experiments being done at  the GALLEX
experiment in Italy, those at the Sudbury Neutrino Obervatory (SNO) in Canada and others might have new information.

Arland  (Red) Carsten,  Ph.D., CHP

Senior Scientist, Consultant
Brookhaven National Laboratory