[ RadSafe ] Franz and neutrinos

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Thu Feb 2 23:17:18 CST 2006

Hmmmmmm,

     This is from:      jpreisig at aol.com     .

     Hi Radsafers and Franz,

          Neutrino (and antineutrino) work isn't always done at particle
accelerators.

          Lederman, Schwartz, Steinberger and others did their neutrino work
     at the Brookhaven Alternating Gradient Synchrotron (AGS).  There was
     considerable shielding between the AGS and the eventual detectors
     (of the experiment), I guess to get rid of most of the other produced
     particles, thereby producing a relatively pure neutrino (or antineutrino)
     "beam".  The work is described in the book by Cahn and Goldhaber
     "The Experimental Foundations of Particle Physics".  Reines & Cowan's
      work (see below) is also described in this book.

           There are electron neutrinos,  muon neutrinos and tau neutrinos,
      right???

            Reines and Cowan did their neutrino work at one of the reactors
      at Savannah River Lab (USA).  Reactions were like:  antineutrino on
proton
      gives positron and neutron.  So, if you can make the preceding reaction
      occur, one can produce positrons and neutrons, each of which can be
      detected with some effort.  One can use the reaction positron plus
electron
      gives two gammas, which are readily detectable.  One can detect neutrons
      in many ways, perhaps even by using Bonner sphere detectors.  Read what
      Reines & Cowan did in the aforementioned book.

           Lederman, Schwartz and Steinberger (and others?) received a Nobel
      prize in physics for their work.

           Some of the people involved in this detection of Uranium (235???)
      at airports and elsewhere, are pretty heavy, scientifically speaking.
      And, right now, they probably won't tell you much about what they are
      doing.  Many active USA D.O.E.  (Department of Energy) workers
      don't post to RADSAFE regularly either.  I haven't worked for Brookhaven
      Lab for many years now.

           Get the book, Franz, from your library or by buying it.  It's good
      reading.

           Punxatawney Phil (the local Pennsylvania groundhog) crossed me
      again today, and called for 6 more weeks of winter weather.  I guess he
goes
      with the safe bet... it keeps him warm and well-fed.

           Regards,     Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig, Ph.D.