[ RadSafe ] Letter: Homeopathy and Hormesis

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 11:38:52 CST 2006

Jim,
I do think that Steve makes some good points.  Those
who claim a hormetic effect, whatever the agent, need
to be sure that there is difference between beneficial
or no noticeable effect.

I also suspect that many of the "benefits" seen with
the use of homeopathic treatments are due to a placebo
response.  This also applies to hormesis, whatever the
agent.

--- "Muckerheide, James" <jimm at WPI.EDU> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I suspect that you haven't been keeping up with the
> literature on
> dose-responses to low doses of all toxins.  :-)
>
> I just sent the attached around today.  One of
> Calabrese's recent journal
> papers ran 207 pages with individual summaries of
> papers just addressing
> immune responses from very many different toxins,
> including some radiation.
>
> And I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to
> "confuse" hormesis and homeopathy
> if they know ANYTHING about them.  (I wonder how you
> would do 10-20 dilutions
> of radon :-)
>
> This really seems more like disinformation than just
> stupidity. :-)
>
> Regards, Jim

. . .
> > COMMENT:
> >
> >          There is some confused and dangerous
> reasoning at work here.  No
> > one is saying that low-dose exposure to every
> toxin (insult) has a
> > hormetic
> > effect (that it is healthful).  Furthermore, no
> one is using hormesis to
> > try and exonerate the chemical industry of
> anything, and I have never
> > heard
> > anyone claim that low doses of these chemical
> industry substances are
> > healthful.  At most, people would say in these
> cases that low-dose
> > exposure
> > is not harmful, but never that it is healthful.
> >
> >          We who accept the hormetic effect, or
> think there is some merit
> > the claim of hormesis, need to be careful to make
> a clear distinction
> > between a hormetic (healthful) effect at low
> levels of exposure, and no
> > effect at low levels of exposure.
> >
> > (end comment)

. . .

> > COMMENT:
> >
> >          No one is saying that stimulatory
> > beneficial.  This needs to be approached on a case
> by case basis.
> >
> >          Note that Huff refers readers to an
> article or a paper in
> > Environmental Health Perspectives.  I have raised
> objections to EHP papers
> > before on RADSAFE.  (Steve Wing's co-authored
> paper purporting to find a
> > higher death toll at Three Mile Island was
> published in EHP.)  About ten
> > years ago, one of the co-authors of this paper,
> Devra Davis, was active in
> > the drive to attribute breast cancer to chlorine.
> I heard her speak at an
> > anti-chlorine and anti-radiation seminar in
> Albuquerque in 1994.  I do not
> > know what Davis' present views are on chlorine and
> breast cancer.  (Wing
> > also spoke at this seminar.)  Should anyone have
> questions about this
> > seminar, please contact me by private e-mail.
> Please do not ask me on
> > RADSAFE.
> >
> > Steven Dapra
> > sjd at swcp.com

> > Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to
> have read and understood
> > the RadSafe rules. These can be found at:
> > http://radlab.nl/radsafe/radsaferules.html
> >
> > For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe
> and other settings
> > visit: http://radlab.nl/radsafe/
> and other settings visit: http://radlab.nl/radsafe/

"It is not the job of public-affairs officers to alter, filter or
adjust engineering or scientific material produced by NASA's technical
staff."
MICHAEL D. GRIFFIN, NASA administrator.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS