[ RadSafe ] IAEA DACs

bobcherry at cox.net bobcherry at cox.net
Wed Feb 8 15:00:50 CST 2006

May I suggest that one might calculate the actual mass-in-air concentration from the derived (radio)activity concentration using only the half-life of the radionuclide in question, its atomic mass number, and Avogadro's number as inputs (not counting unit conversions if the SI system in not in use)? One might find that for all but the longest-lived radionuclides (for example, uranium-238), the mass-in-air concentration is so low that the chemical toxicity is negligible in comparison with the radiological impact. At that point, one might become a little happier.