AW: [ RadSafe ] TMI - reported "metallic taste"

Bjorn Cedervall bcradsafers at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 14 11:27:34 CST 2006

I was Director of the Pennsylvania radiation protection program  during the
TMI accident and I did indeed have a metallic taste when I was  outside
around
the plant.  I believe that the winds at the time were  blowing from the
south
and that the odor was coming from a paper plant well to  the southwest of
TMI.
   It sure had nothing to do with  "fear."

---

Very interesting. Does this mean that the metallic taste only occurred at
the time
of the TMI accident (but not before or after)? It must take quite a high air
concentration if the metallic taste was there because of a direct mechanism.

My point was really not about fear but more about associations where
thoughts
are translated into physiological effects (compare embarrassment - > redness
in
the face, even passion can translate into physiological phenomena...).

Having said this, I am open to explanations based on direct effects but then
the amounts (milligrams/mmoles) must be quite substantial (and anything
related to radiology would be excluded).

What does a paper plant do that results in rel. large releases of metals?

My personal comments only,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers at hotmail.com