[ RadSafe ] SSKI for inpt I-131 therapy room

Peter Fear FEARP at upstate.edu
Wed Feb 15 10:10:13 CST 2006

Sink drains normally have some type of slimy stuff in them which would bind
the hot stuff. We pour it down the sink when prep-ing the room under the
assumption that the cold iodine will bind to any sites that would react with
the hot iodine.

Pete

Peter Fear
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Radiation Safety Office
636 UH
750 E. Adams St.
Syracuse, NY 13210

Phone: (315)464-6510
FAX:     (315)464-5095
fearp at upstate.edu

>>> "Ratliff, Larry" <RatliffL at exempla.org> 2/15/2006 8:58:54 AM >>>
Can anyone tell me the proper way to use SSKI to cut down on exposure in
the sink basin and the toilet?

It seems to me that if SSKI binds iodine that it may help bind that
iodine to the sink instead of help wash it down?  Is it slippery like
baby oil so that it would run off into the sink and down the drain
easier?

Any help or comments would be appreciated
Larry

Larry W Ratliff, BS, RT(N)(R)(CT)
EGSMC Nuclear Medicine Team Lead
303-689-4147 (Office)
303-897-2737 (Pager)
303-689-4100 (Clinic)
303-689-4186 (FAX)

Power cannot stand against Knowledge.  Power is completely dependent
upon Ignorance